Tuesday, December 14, 2010

USC-Boston College: A Breakdown of this Trojans-Eagles Matchup from a USC Expert

I will certainly admit to being a USC fan. However, I feel I will be very much able to consider matchups impartially. When you check my user ID on CBSSportline (USC Holmey), you will see that I will be a Pac-10 capper, and I will tell you that I haven't chosen USC a single time this year as my LOCK of the day. At the same time, I want to let everyone know that another high-reputation capper, Detroit Nail, has told me he's very much on Boston College in tonight's game.

Nonetheless, I will go ahead and post my breakdown of the game here just to help out those with the attitude from someone who has seen 30-plus USC games and around 150 Pac- 10 games this year. My first reaction to getting BC in the draw was neutrality, since I have little understanding of BC or their style of play. As I did more research, I found that they've got a star in Tyrese Rice and several other supporting players, although many are quite skilled. Personally, this is an ideal style of matchup for USC, although I will admit that Boston College has an offense that could put up a lot of points, that may pose problems for that Trojans if BC gets off to some hot start is hitting loads of shots. Then again, I suppose that comment can be made about any team in any situation.

In my earlier post here on B/R, I broke down USC and the way they play. On the list of strengths of USC is an extremely long and extremely tenacious guard rotation, with all four or five perimeter defenders being 6'4" to six'7". What this does for USC is allow them to essentially defend the perimeter, so any team that depends on guards for his or her production might be in trouble versus USC. USC should put newly-anointed defensive stopper Marcus Simmons on Rice. Simmons was a surprise starter inside the Pac-10 Tournament and was put in ONLY to harass also to drive another team's PG nuts. He really did a fantastic job on Cal's Jerome Randle, UCLA's Darren Collison, and ASU's Derek Glasser, although Glasser had a fantastic first half before USC shut the Devils down in the second half and came back and won. With the addition of Simmons as a defensive stopper on another team's point guard, it allows USC's other best perimeter defender, Daniel Hackett, to unencumber and defend the team's best perimeter scorer, like ASU's James Harden or Arizona's Chase Budinger, who he close up multiple times this year.

Taj Gibson can dominate the lane, so that permits the USC perimeter defenders to actually push the defensive pressure out on the three-point arc, which implies whenever you have four guys for the arc and their heights are 6'4", 6'5", 6'5", and 6'7", then you need to shoot from quite a long distance away for getting shots over them. Gibson will be the Pac-10 Defensive Player with the Year and USC's anchor inside the middle. He can be an ultra-aggressive shot blocker and is third in Pac-10 history in blocks, even though he is only a junior. He challenges every shot and isn't afraid to select up fouls, that is a problem, but he has gotten much better at that lately. With that "eraser" in the center, USC's perimeter defenders have the liberty to smother their man and possess a pleasant safety net just in case their man beats them off the dribble, which will happen because of how aggressive the defenders are.

No comments:

Post a Comment